"So, when are you getting married?"

 *pic credit to quizony*

Assalamualaikum and hello everyone!

Alrightey singletons! 
The Hari Raya Aidilfitri holidays are already here. In few days there’ll be family gatherings, visiting family members from one house to another. 
Now, brace yourself! No, not for those scrumptious food, honey. Even before you are able to touch the ketupat, lemang, kuah kacang and lodeh on the table, you will have all the aunties and uncles (and even cousins!) asking you the million-dollar question: "So, when are you getting married?" 
Okay, let’s face this. I am at the age where woman should already be married. Worse, both of my baby sisters are married (now they get a new question "When are you having babies?") and I’m the only daughter left, so yeah, the question comes a lot more frequent than you can think of. I understand now that this question has become a norm in every culture, as even the Western culture does this. As I also watch a lot of K-Drama, I can also conclude that it happens over there as well. 
To be honest, I hate that question. I loathe it with a passion. 
I don’t quite understand why the question is even needed to be asked in the first place. Basically, if I were to get married, my father would only need to tell one of his sisters and poof! The whole extended family would know then. 
Yup, we have our own version of CNN, you know. 
Anyway, like I said, I loathe the question with a passion. Well, let’s face it, when you’re asked, the only answer you could provide is “InsyaAllah, bila dah jumpa jodoh,” (God’s willing, when I have met the right person). 
 And as usual, they would respond that I’m being picky. 
Ok people, I am being picky. I think I have the right to do that.
This is my whole life we’re talking about. If I were to marry this guy, he would be the person I shall devote myself to, he would be the father of my offspring, he would be the one to share my burden and he would be the person I shall love until after the day I die. Well, I can’t surely pick anyone on the street, can I? Or just marry the next guy who wants to befriend me. 
And I’m a Libra, I suck at making decision. I can’t even decide whether to get the blue or emerald green handbags and it’s been over a month of thinking now.  *sigh*
It’s not like I am allergic to the opposite gender, I do have acquaintances but you know, to feel those butterflies in the tummy and to have the chemistry only we both would have are just not there yet. 
And let’s talk about trust issues people. 
Oh God. There is nothing worse you can do as a human being than to give hopeless hope to the hopeful ones. Seriously guys, if you tell a girl you like her, we girls understand it as you like us, literally. So if we flirt back it means we also like you. It’s not anything Newton or Einstein. 
It’s pure human understanding. 
It is very wrong that you take her feelings on a fun carousel and then after a few months you announce you’re getting married..to another girl. 
At this moment, I usually would feel grateful I’m not marrying such guys. 
Me and my friends have been through this a couple of times and everytime we talk about it, we still couldn’t come up with any single reason as to why would a sane, educated human being act that way. It’s just very immature. 
Anyhow, going back to the issue of the million-dollar question, I believe when people ask you they are either concerned or just plain busybody. I’ll take that they’re usually concerned, especially the older family members. 
My parents recently told me that they pray they’d live a long, healthy life to be able to watch me get married. It was almost heartbreaking to hear that but it’s not like I don’t want to get married, God knows how I really want to have my own little family. HE knows well because I pour my heart out to HIM through my prayers, every single day. I believe in HIM and I want to believe that it’s not my time yet. HE probably wants me to enjoy what I’ve always dreamed of, which is travelling and other things that I love like spending time with my parents and sleep like a starfish in my bed. 
At loneliest times, I would just look at my glass half full –I have close family and friends, a great job and time for myself to travel, read novels, watch movies and like I said above, sleep like a starfish in my bed
Hence singletons, cherish the time you still have. Do things you have always wanted to do. Go join a marathon or climb a mountain or go travel and watch God's amazing creations around the world; you don’t get a job just to spend all the time at work and end up not living the life you’re working for. 
To the next person asking us the question, let’s just respond with “God is indeed the best planner, let’s leave it to HIM,” while stuffing batang buruk in your mouth. Trust me, they won’t dare asking you anything else after that
You're welcome.
 
*pic credit to pinterest*

p/s To all Muslims, Happy Eid and to those not celebrating, happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment