i chose the road less travelled...

Or is it not?

I’m hired, finally. I'm now working at a public university in Melaka and it has been 2 weeks since I first started teaching. Am I happy here? Well, Alhamdulillah for the rezeki He gave me but as usual, there are always things that make me go erghh..

You see, the coordinator called me on a Thursday, asking me to come over for an interview the next day. I went to her office on Friday and she straightaway gave me my teaching timetable and explained a few things about the subject. In other words, she didn’t even give me time to think over the job offer. In short, they're desperate and in need of lecturers. So I guessed I didn’t have a way out and went to work the next Monday. I was even too shocked to say anything!

Well the first few days, of course weren’t all happy and flowery. Even though I used to study here for a year for my pre-degree, so many things have changed especially the new buildings and community. And the coordinator being not friendly isn’t helping at all. I was hoping someone would give me a map of the campus! Luckily I've a friend working here and she helped me a lot. We used to be classmates when we did our bachelor degree and seeing a familiar face really reduce my anxiety.

So far classes went well and my first year students are doing fine too. They're still fresh out of schools and some still call me ‘teacher’. I really don’t mind being called a teacher, I am a teacher anyway. The only downside so far is the salary. Well, can't say much when you're working with the government. *sigh*

Anyway, I believe I'm happier working here as I'm close to my family. I feel blessed to be able to ask for my parents blessings every morning before leaving for work. Nothing beats having your family around even though I sometimes crave for IKEA meatballs or William’s cheese naan but coming home and knowing there are people waiting for you to come home is definitely more fulfilling than William’s Vanilla Pavlova Trifle. Eh, really?

Dayyyyyyum!

No comments:

Post a Comment