i probably have cried a river...

I once heard that South Koreans always deem themselves to be the best in everything.
Public transportation, electronic devices, architecture, culture etc.
I was told not to argue anything regarding this 'the best' matter as they can very patriotic and defensive over their nation.
I would not agree or disagree with this issue but I'd strongly admit that they're the best when it comes to tear-jerking dramas or songs or movies.
Like, seriously.

My first serious introduction to South Korea (SK) was when I was around 16 or 17 years old. 
I was head over heels with Bae Yong Joon  or Jun Sang in "Winter Sonata". 
That show was the epitome of tear-jerking drama. I bought the DVD and still cry everytime I watch it.
Then "Stairways to Heaven", "Autumn in My Heart", "Friends", "Secret Garden", among others, came into picture.
I had (still have!) a super huge crush over Won Bin! He was so adorable in "Autumn in My Heart" but he kicked some asses in "The Man from Nowhere". When actors can act as absolute different characters, that's talent. He won seven best actor awards for "The Man from Nowhere". Totally deserved them all.

Anyhow, not every SK dramas are the best or worth watching, to be honest.
Some are blergh (Bad Love, Big, Dream High), some are not bad (Equator Man, Princess' Man, Bridal Mask, Boys Over Flower) and some can be suprisingly good (Man of Honor, Romance Town, My Princess).
Too many to list here, actually.
If you're looking for good series to watch, I would really suggest "King 2 Hearts" and "Rooftop Prince".
These are among the best series I've watched so far.
And they made me cry like keh-ray-zeeeeee...!
"K2H" is a more serious drama, a conflict between South and North Koreas. Lee Seunggi, who's usually funny & cute, did very well as SK king, a side of him I rarely see. Ha Jiwon is, hands down, one of the best actresses. 
"RP" is a romantic comedy drama. Yoochun & Han Ji Min are the perfect pair for this, bar none. I'm not really a fan of Yoochun because he's not that cute (LOL!) but this guy can really act. Han Ji Min was totally adorable as Park Ha! I so wanna keep her! It's actually the first time I got excited over a female lead. And she made me cry buckets!
 
 *King 2 Hearts*

*Rooftop Prince*

Oh, another drama worth mentioning is definitely "Love Rain"
The pace is quite slow, more serious love storyline.
I watched this and actually made a record myself because I cried in every episode. Yup, every single episode. Either the scene was sad or sweet, I'd cry.
Jan Geun Suk is one fine actor.

*Love Rain*

Apart from drama series, Korean songs can be such tear-jerker as well.
For examples, the MVs of "Because I'm a Girl" "I'm Sorry" and "Farewell is Coming". The OST of "RP" by Baek Ji Young "After A Long Time" is just heart wrenching.
Their movies are not bad as well. Even though both "The Man from Nowhere" and "71: Into The Fire" are action movies, they never forget to slip in unforgettable tear-jerking moments.

For now I'm watching "Nice Guy" which airs every Wednesday and Thursday night. I first watched it because of Song Joong Ki which was so adorable in Running Man but he's a tough guy in this drama. A must watch if you wanna see that 'dark' side of him.
 Go watch it!
(^.^) 

*pics: allkoreandrama.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment